History matters. From a storied past comes a promising future.
We trace our roots to 1903.
1903 - Development of Plattsburgh City Hospital begins. The founders, the Grey Nuns of Ontario, decide the name Champlain Valley Hospital would better reflect their broad service area. The Rev. Mother Ann of Jesus organizes the project.
1910 - On June 22, Champlain Valley Hospital officially opens on Rugar Street.
1911 - Physicians Hospital opens at the corner of William and Court Streets. Dr. Cassius D. Silver is instrumental in its development.
1926 - On January 1, an all new showplace facility, Physicians Hospital, opens on Beekman Street, thanks to wealthy Chazy entrepreneur William H. Miner.
1955 - A three-story addition is added to Champlain Valley Hospital.
1967 - On January 18, the Boards of the two hospitals sign an agreement to merge and create a single, strong Medical Center. Plattsburgh State University purchases Champlain Valley Hospital, then leases it back until a physical merger occurs.
1972 - On May 15, the lights are turned off at Champlain Valley Hospital for the final time and 95 patients transfer to the newly built addition on Beekman Street. Champlain Valley Physicians Hospital Medical Center is a reality.
1990 - The FitzPatrick Cancer Center and other new services open.
1997 - A new Emergency Care Center and a Health Plaza, which includes a Diagnostic Center and the Henry K. Freedman Renal Center, open.
1998 - Rehabilitation & Sports Medicine moves off campus to the Bayside Wellness Center in a joint venture with the YMCA.
1999 - A new Ambulatory Surgery Center opened in June at the CVPH Health Plaza and the first baby is born July 6 at the new Alice T. Miner Center for Women and Children.
2001 - A new, 12-bed mental health unit for children and adolescents opens. The CVPH Rehabilitation and Wellness Center expands to the former Plattsburgh Air Base.
2003 - Construction adds a new 14-bed intensive care unit and expanded cafeteria.
2004 - The Champlain Valley Heart Center at CVPH introduces a new catheterization laboratory and cardiovascular surgical suite to facilitate the provision of coronary angioplasty and open-heart services.
2005 - A new satellite office for physical and occupational therapy and Valcour Imaging, a venture between Associates in Radiology of Plattsburgh, P.C. and CVPH open at 16 Degrandpre Way adjacent to the CVPH Health Plaza.
2007 - William H. and Alice T. Miner Medical Arts Building opens on main campus.
2008 - New Surgery Addition opens with 9 operating suites, new front entrance, lobby and patient registration.
2009 - Rehabilitation Services adds its third freestanding clinic on Tom Miller Road.