A Closer Look at Liaison Psychiatry
Recognizing Advanced Practice Provider Week
Who we are:
I am an ANCC-certified Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner who is part of the part-time Liaison Psychiatry service at UVM CVPH Medical Center. Our team, consisting of two NPs and a psychiatrist, has been in service for almost four years now, and we have been quite busy!
What we are:
Liaison psychiatry specializes in the interface between general medicine and psychiatry, usually taking place in a hospital or medical setting. The role of the consultation-liaison NP is to see patients with comorbid medical conditions at the request of the treating provider.
What we do:
- Conduct evaluations
- Provide short-term therapy for patients experiencing the stress of hospitalization
- Conduct evaluations for suicidality and make safety recommendations
- Medical recommendations
- Family meetings
- Evaluation of patients for decision-making capacity
- Patient and staff education
- Grief counseling
- Make recommendations for follow up care
- Consultation with ancillary staff
Consultation liaison psychiatry is a growing field! If this appeals to you for your professional future, please reach out to me.