What You Didn’t Know About Liaison Psychiatry
Who We Are
I am an ANCC-certified Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner who is part of the part-time Liaison Psychiatry service at CVPH. Our team, consisting of two Nurse Practitioners (NPs) and a Psychiatrist, has been in service for almost four years now and we have been quite busy!
What We Are
Liaison psychiatry specializes in the interface between General Medicine and Psychiatry, usually taking place in a hospital or medical setting. The role of the consultation-liaison NP is to see patients with multiple medical conditions at the request of the treating provider.
What We Do
- conduct evaluations
- provide short term therapy for patients experiencing the stress of hospitalization
- conduct evaluations for suicidality and make safety recommendations
- medication recommendations
- family meetings
- evaluation of patients for decision-making capacity
- patient and staff education
- grief counseling
- make recommendations for follow-up care
- consultation with ancillary staff