Located on the second floor of the "R" building, the Dr. Robert L. Collins Intensive Care Unit (ICU) provides close observation, support and clinical care for the critically ill.
The unit was designed by our ICU staff to provide enhanced workflow and encourage family support in a healing environment. There are 14 private rooms all within steps of the large nurses' station for better visualization. Two of the rooms are negative airflow isolation rooms which allows air to flow into the room but not escape from the room. These rooms may be used for patients with an airborne contagious disease.
The ICU is in close proximity to the Operating Rooms, Post-anesthesia Care Unit, Emergency Department, Radiology and Cardiac Cath Lab. This allows for critically ill patients to be close to support service areas and improves quality of care.
The unit provides holistic care using a multidisciplinary approach for critically ill patients requiring advanced monitoring and intensive treatment for:
- Respiratory/ventilatory care
- Cardiac/hemodynamic monitoring/temporary pacing/IABP therapy
- Observation and support due to drug overdose or poisoning
- Advanced care due to medication therapy
- Multiple trauma
- Major surgical procedures
- Post-cardiac interventional care
- Acute gastrointestinal disorders