Bequests & Other Legacy Gifts
Learn how you can leave a lasting legacy to improve community health.
Bequests and Other Legacy Gifts
The Foundation of CVPH relies on all types of philanthropic contributions to fulfill its mission to connect the generosity of a caring community with opportunities to promote health and wellness in partnership with UVM Health Network – Champlain Valley Physicians Hospital, including bequests and other legacy gifts.
Legacy gifts are those contributions made through your will, a trust or an estate plan. These types of gifts provide you with the opportunity to leave a legacy after you pass on and some can provide annual income to you for the remainder of your life.
Your legacy gift allows the Foundation to build a sustainable future for our hospital and Foundation programs. In most cases, donors receive one or more of these benefits:
- Reduction of estate, gift and/or current income taxes
- Reduction or elimination of taxes on capital gains at the time of the gift
- A secure stream of income for the rest of your life
- Additional income for heirs
Bequests are the most common and simplest way to make a legacy gift. A bequest is when you make a gift in your will to a particular charity. The following is sample language that you could include in your will:
“I give (____ dollars) or (a specific asset, such as securities, real estate or other property) or (all) or ___(percent of the rest, residue, and remainder of my estate) to The Foundation of Champlain Valley Physicians Hospital in Plattsburgh, NY, or its successor in interest, (for its general purposes) or (for the following purpose: ________).”
Other types of Legacy gifts include:
- Life Insurance: Naming the Foundation as a beneficiary of your life insurance policy or retirement assets after your lifetime.
- Charitable Gift Annuities: A charitable gift annuity is an agreement between The Foundation and donor(s) to make a gift and receive cash flow back from The Foundation at a rate set by your age at the time of the gift (in most cases). Contact The Foundation Office for current gift annuity rates.
- Trusts: Charitable remainder trusts, charitable lead trusts and charitable annuity trusts are forms of giving that provide a return on investment for the donor. For more information on trusts, call The Foundation Office or speak with your financial advisor.
By making a legacy gift, you'll become a member of The CVPH Heritage Society which is comprised of individuals who have named The Foundation of CVPH in their will or estate plans. These members are recognized during their lifetime for their generosity. Benefits of membership include:
- Annual breakfast with the President of UVM Health Network - CVPH and President of The Foundation of CVPH Board of Directors.
- Special recognition as a Society member in our annual report.
- A personal thank you from the President of The Foundation of CVPH.
For more information about making a legacy gift or becoming a member of the CVPH Heritage Society, contact The Foundation.
The Foundation of CVPH
75 Beekman Street
Plattsburgh, NY 12901
Send an email