The Patient Experience
Champlain Valley Physicians Hospital encourages patients and families to voice suggestions for improvement, compliments and/or any concerns you may have.
Upon admission, each patient receives a copy of our patient information handbook which includes information about patient and family guidelines, financial information and services as well as other pertinent information. Each patient also receives a copy of “Your Rights as a Hospital Patient in New York State” which contains the description of your patients’ rights and responsibilities and addressees matters of confidentiality, ethics, access to medical records, interpreter services, billing and other issues.
What is Patient Advocacy?
Our Patient Advocate Managers serve as a resource to all CVPH patients and staff while working to support the best possible patient experience by:
- Serving as a liaison between patients, their families and the health care team to address quality of care concerns and provide service recovery.
- Providing a formal avenue for grievance resolution.
- Providing an organizational resource for maintaining complaint data and actions taken.
- Assisting our leadership in identifying patterns, trends and opportunities for patient care improvement.
- Collaborating with departments, management and staff to address safety, risk, ethics and compliance to ensure any patient and family concerns have been resolved.
- Helping to connect patients and families with available hospital resources to assist in complete health care.
The Complaint Process
Patients and their representatives have the right to express concerns about the quality of care or service received at Champlain Valley Physicians Hospital. We encourage patient and family members to present concerns in a timely manner in order for CVPH to respond to the concern in a timely manner. However, if an issue cannot be resolved by speaking with a staff member, or you feel uncomfortable discussing the issue within the department or unit where the issue occurred, we invite you to contact our Patient Advocate Manager to submit your complaint:
Patient Advocate Managers
UVM Health Network - CVPH
75 Beekman Street
Plattsburgh, NY 12901
Send an email
Addressing Unresolved Concerns
If, for any reason, your concerns remain unaddressed, you may contact the following agencies to report any concerns or to register a complaint:
You may contact The Joint Commission's Office of Quality Monitoring
- By email at www.jointcommission.org using the “Report a Patient Safety Event” link in the “Action Center” on the home page of the website
- By fax to 1-630-792-5636
- By Mail to the Office of Quality and patient Safety (OQPS) The Joint Commission, One Renaissance Boulevard, Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois 60181
The New York State Department of Health
Centralized Hospital Intake Program
875 Central Avenue
Albany, NY 12206
Send an email